When caring for a loved one becomes your top priority, everything else – catching up with friends, doing what brings you joy, caring for your own health – is often pushed to the wayside. What many family caregivers don’t realize is that it is possible to take care of your loved one and still enjoy a fulfilling, healthy lifestyle of your own.
Seeking out respite care, either from a family member, neighbor or professional service, and enjoying some time to yourself can bring about benefits essential to experiencing a full, healthy life:
- Renewal – Doing the things that bring you joy can reduce stress, calm your nerves and decrease your heart rate. Pursue the activities that you love for a healthy dose of self- care and rejuvenation.
- Energy – Trying to balance the responsibilities of home, work and caregiving can drain you of energy. Taking a break allows you to re-energize and, ultimately, be more effective in everything you do.
- Space – Distancing yourself from your situation – even for just a few hours – gives you the chance to be ‘off’ for a while, so you can rest, relax and be at ease, knowing your loved one is in good hands.
- Pleasure – No matter what our responsibilities or circumstances, everyone deserves to enjoy life. Making the time to do as you please allows for purposeful, fulfilled living.
- Identity – It’s important to remind yourself that you are more than just your loved one’s caregiver. Maintain your sense of self and take care of your personal needs and desires.
- Time Away – Spending time away from your caregiving duties can help you to see things more clearly and gain a better perspective. Taking time to rest and clear your mind can even help you think of new ideas or resources.
- Engagement – Caregivers suffer from social isolation as much as their loved ones do. It’s important for your emotional health to socialize with your friends and family on a regular basis.
In addition to the benefits that the caregiver receives from utilizing respite care, their loved one benefits from a change of pace, new surroundings and activities to do and, if they’re enjoying respite care at a senior living community, socializing with their peers and making new acquaintances, they may even discover that a community lifestyle is one they’d like to consider in the future.
Art of Living
At Tuscan Gardens® of Venetia Bay, we’ve mastered the art of living. We’ve perfected the balance of personalized support and an uplifting lifestyle, helping our residents experience independence, joy, and meaning every day.
Offering supportive independent living, assisted living and memory care services for families in Venice, Florida, Tuscan Gardens of Venetia Bay was founded with one simple, yet profound goal – to create a community worthy of our parents. In all we do, we are guided by the principles of family, culture, and engagement, working to represent the remarkable way of life our families deserve.
The essence of our community is made up not only of mere aesthetics but an artfully designed lifestyle to bring out the best of what each day has to offer. From dedicated care that respects residents’ individuality and dignity to a lifestyle that nurtures their love of life, Tuscan Gardens was built to be more than just a residence, but a place to call home.
To learn more about our comfortable, elegant community, contact us today!