For seniors looking to downsize to a senior living community, the process of moving out of their family home can be bittersweet. It’s not always easy to leave a house that holds so many memories. Yet, beyond nostalgia’s powerful tug, downsizing presents new possibilities for those looking for a simpler, more manageable retirement lifestyle.
Our Community Relations Director at Tuscan Gardens® of Venetia Bay in Venice, FL, says, “Downsizing to a community such as Tuscan Gardens® often allows seniors to upsize their lifestyle. While many think that moving to a senior living community will limit not only their space but also their options, in reality, our residents find the opposite. Most leading senior living communities grant seniors the type of relaxing lifestyle – free from hassles and worries – that they could never have as homeowners. Our residents can tell you that when it comes to downsizing, the benefits they get to enjoy far outweigh their initial concerns about moving.”
When Less Becomes so Much More
Downsizing often brings to mind thoughts about decluttering, packing, moving hassles, selling your home. Many adults of retirement age don’t even consider downsizing an option until they are in a position in which they either need full-time support or can no longer manage the upkeep of their house. However, many who have made the move to senior living communities before it becomes a necessity have experienced life-changing benefits.
According to an article from American Senior Communities, “The Joys of Downsizing Your Home,” those who make the move to senior living ultimately trade the time, money, energy and stress spent on maintaining their home for the ease, security, social engagement and free time that comes with a community lifestyle.
Here are just a few benefits you can expect to experience when you downsize to a senior living community:
- No More Maintenance – Keeping up on household chores or paying for yard work and seasonal maintenance is overwhelming and expensive. With age, these tasks end up taking more time or simply become too difficult or dangerous to manage. At a senior living community, you don’t have to spend your time doing housework with included housekeeping, linen and maintenance services. Downsizing lets you focus on more important things.
- Manageable Space – If you’re living on your own or with your spouse, chances are you don’t need as much space as when you were raising children or hosting guests. Downsizing to a smaller home makes it much easier to manage your space. Rather than keeping up with empty rooms, spend your energy on making a smaller – yet spacious – apartment shine with your unique style.
- Financial Benefits – Along with homeownership comes the financial burdens of taxes and home repairs. Major repairs often come unannounced (when the furnace stops working or the roof starts to leak) and could cost you thousands of dollars. Even small repairs add up. At a senior living community, you no longer have to worry about uncertain financial expenses. Without the burdens of paying for repairs and property tax, you can put your home equity to good use.
- Less Stress – All of these downsizing benefits inevitably equal less overall stress for you! Your new, smaller home will be easier to keep clean and organized, and someone else will be taking care of maintenance jobs. You can stop worrying about things that take away your time, energy, money and even health, and start enjoying some peace of mind.
- More Freedom & Free Time – When you downsize your home, you’ll regain the free time lost on homeowner responsibilities and be able to spend it on the things you love. Want to go away for an impromptu vacation? Your home is safe and secure within your community.
- Social Engagement – Maybe your nest is empty, kids and grandkids live out of town, or friends have moved away. Your social circle might have grown much smaller than it used to be. At senior living community, social interaction and involvement is effortless and accessible. With special programming, clubs and day trips, there’s always something fun to do. It’s easy to make new friends and meet people with similar interests. Plus, friends and neighbors are always close by to grab lunch, see a movie or just sit and chat.
- Security – In a community setting, you no longer have to worry about your safety. Gone are the days of worrying about a break-in or an inclement weather crisis stranding you away from necessities. Plus, apartments are usually equipped with emergency call systems, in case you should ever experience a health emergency.
- The Chance to Start a New Chapter – Downsizing and moving to a new, easier-to-manage community home can give you the chance to begin a new chapter in life. Downsizing to a senior living community can be a catalyst for changes for the better. Rather than viewing the move as a compaction of your life, be encouraged to view it instead as making yourself available to new possibilities!
Elegant Senior Living at Tuscan Gardens®
At Tuscan Gardens® of Venetia Bay, seniors find the elegant, independent lifestyle they’ve always dreamed of. From beautiful surroundings to spacious apartments, fine Tuscan-inspired dining and meaningful programs and activities, independent living residents experience all they could ever want out of retirement – with the added comfort of knowing support is available on-site if their health needs ever change.
“When seniors downsize to Tuscan Gardens®, they experience a truly carefree lifestyle. They find that a large house, large bills and large worries are replaced with a gorgeous community home, plenty of time to do what they love and unlimited possibilities.”
If you would like to learn more about what it’s like to live at Tuscan Gardens® of Venetia Bay, contact us today!
The Art of Living With Purpose, Passion & Joy®
At Tuscan Gardens® of Venetia Bay, we’ve mastered the art of living. We’ve perfected the balance of personalized support and an uplifting lifestyle, helping our residents experience independence, joy, and meaning every day.
Offering supported independent living, assisted living and memory care services for families in Venice, Florida, Tuscan Gardens® of Venetia Bay was founded with one simple, yet profound goal – to create a community worthy of our parents. In all we do, we are guided by the principles of family, culture and engagement, working to represent the remarkable way of life our families deserve.
Luxury, intimacy, opportunity, passion and beauty combine to create what the Italians call sprezzatura – a culture of effortless elegance. The essence of our community is made up not only of mere aesthetics, but an artfully designed lifestyle to bring out the best of what each day has to offer. From dedicated care that respects residents’ individuality and dignity to a lifestyle that nurtures their love of life, Tuscan Gardens® was built to be more than just a residence, but a place to call home.