The Milanese sauce is a tomato-based sauce. Slow cooking allows for some of the moisture to escape, which results in a thick sauce that is thoroughly enjoyed with pasta.
Maria's Milanese Sauce
Write a review
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 26 - 28 ounce container of chopped or finely chopped tomatoes (preferably Pomi) or San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
- Tomato paste (I use Contadina)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- Sugar to taste
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil
- 1/4 stick of butter
- In a large pot, add all ingredients and cook on low for 1 hour or until sauce thickens.
- Simmer anywhere from 6 to 8 hours for a very large batch.
- Best served with spaghetti, angel hair, or other speciality pastas such as penne or ziti. Also used as a foundational sauce for other Italian dishes, such as lasagna or pasta al Forno.
Tuscan Gardens https://tuscangardens.com/